Re: defining the script sizes via font dimens

Frank Mittelbach wrote:

> there is one alternative that i can see which is to think about an
> interface that provides defaults unless the font already has suitable
> values e.g.
>
> \DeclareDefaultMathSizes{10}{10}{7}{5}
>
> which would load the basic font checks for the font dimens and if not
> found uses the default.
>
> that interface would have the advantage that it would be pramble only
> thus could be as complicated and space consuming as you like.

I will do some experiments with that idea.

> btw from which font do you get this information? or do you intend to
> maintain different values for each font family?

I get the information from \textfont1 (=letters=MSP). One question on
that: What is the preferred way to use the symbolic name `letters' instead
of the hardwired `1' ? Can I write \textfont\letters or something similar ?

Do you think that the setting of math spacing should also be preamble-only ?

Regards, Matthias