Re: more on a Times/Symbol implementation of MC/MSP

Matthias Clasen:

> In my current sources, Dal, Vbar and Vbarslanted are already in MS1.
> Rearranging MS1/MS2 in the way you propose should be possible, since
> they have many free slots; I'll give it a try.

As for `Dal' that's fine with me.  As for `Vbar' and `Vbarslanted', I
don't think that's a good idea.  Either take them out completely and
put them on hold or leave them in MC, but please don't introduce any
new dependencies on the math letters font in MS1.  (It would probably
be easier to take out the Hebrew glyphs, if it weren't for the fact
that \aleph needs to be in either MC or MSP for plain compatibility.)

[\prime ligatures]

> OK, so it will be enough to have a small number of free slots in MC
> which could then be filled with these ligatures if an implementation
> has them; no need to explicitly reserve these slots.

There's still the problem that most fonts that do provide double prime
ligatures (like Adobe Symbol) have them in raised position, whereas
TeX expects them to be symbols that will be raised to a superscript
position (or lowered to a subscript, see TeXbook, exercise 16.5).

[upright greek]

> OK, so I'll wait for the results of your comparison (or do an experiment
> with kelly on my own; but I doubt that I will have the time soon).

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time this weekend to do something
about this.  From my first impression, it appears that greek/kelly has
a different design for the upright \nu and a somewhat narrower version
of \varkappa (which was actually designed to be used as the default
kappa in a greek text font).  OTOH, greek/kelly did not address the
problems of the somewhat unbalanced-looking gamma, lambda, pi and chi,
which I have tried to improve as well.

Cheers, Ulrik.