Powerset symbol

I have done some more research on the powerset question. This is a rough
representation of the symbol I have in mind, which I will call "open P":

          XXXXXXXXXXX
      XXXXXXXX    XXXX
    XXXXX           XXXX
    XXXXX           XXXX
  XXXXXXXX          XXXX
  XXX  XXX          XX
  XX   XXXXXXX  XXXXXX
  XX    XXXXXXXXXXXX
  XX    XXXX
  XX    XXXX
  XX      XXXX
  XX      XXXX
  XXXX    XXXX
  XXXX    XXXX
  XXXX  XXXX
    XXXXXX

(This ascii representation assumes a 2:1 aspect ratio on your terminal!)
(Imagine it drawn with a single smooth stroke of the pen).

The following books use the open P for powerset:

R.R.Stoll "Set theory and Logic", W.H.Freeman & Co, 1961,1963, P.11

P.Suppes "Axiomatic Set Theory", D.Van Nostrand Co, 1960

The following use a script P (similar to the one in Ralph Smith's Formal
Script font, rsfs10):

B.Rotman & G.T.Kneebone "The Theory of Sets and Transfinite Numbers",
Oldbourne, 1966, P.46

H.Rubin & J.Rubin "Equivalents of the Axiom of Choice", North Holland, 1963

(of course, this is confusing if you want to use script letters for classes)

I have also seen a "blackboard bold P" used for this purpose (in zed.sty).

I hope this is of some value.

                                Martin.

JANET: Martin.Ward@uk.ac.durham    Internet (eg US): Martin.Ward@durham.ac.uk
or if that fails:  Martin.Ward%uk.ac.durham@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk