Re: horizontal curly braces.

    horizontal curly braces:
    DEK has assumed that the end tips are the same as the middle bit.

what i believe dek has assumed is that he didn't have any extra
space to spare in the cmex font, and therefore put together
something that would work reasonably well on a symbol that is
relatively rare.
if there's more room now, then we should do the "right thing",
whether that be staying with the original approach or adding
more shapes.  by the way, when considering whether to use rules
for extenders or small pieces, take into account that the rule
approach yields lengths that exactly match the material being
braced, while pieces will yield only an approximation.  there
has been discussion on the flaws in fixed sizes in a vertical
environment; we shouldn't expect anything different when the
braces are horizontal.
						-- bb