[Xy-pic] Fw: Xy-pic and Qcircuit

Daniel Müllner nospamplease at stanford.edu
Sun Mar 20 21:29:20 CET 2011

Hi Ross & all others,

is it always the same macro and/or trigonometric calculation which
produces the errors in Bryan's examples with elliptic shapes? If the
overflow errors are caused by a single macro which does a certain
numeric calculation, could we reimplement this with \dimexpr?

As you are well aware of, doing calculations in TeX's fixed point
arithmetic is a pain. But one thing has improved in the 12 years since
Xy-pic was written: e-TeX has the \dimexpr macro which makes
multiplication and division a lot easier than in the days when
everything had to be done with the \multiply and \divide primitives.

Xy-pic's engine is a complicated system, but is it possible to identify
the macros which generated errors with arrows and frames in connection
with very small objects? If the problem is somewhat limited to the
arithmetic at a few spots, I could offer my help with that.

Best,

Daniel