[Xy-pic] Fw: Xy-pic and Qcircuit

Bryan Eastin beastin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 22:45:25 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Eventually I wound up reinstalling Ubuntu 10.10, the 2009-10 version
of TeXLive, and Xy-pic 2.8.5.  This time it worked and the `xypdf.tex'
error disappeared.  The errors in the output were then comparable to
other cases.  I don't know what went wrong before; the only thing I
can think of is that I might have failed to use sudo when running
texhash the first time.

I have attached a preliminary new version of Qcircuit.  It seems to
work fine on the above described system as well as on my windows XP
machine with MikTeX and Xy-pic 2.8.5 or Xy-pic 2.7.  (The circles
typeset in PDF mode in Xy-pic 2.7 are a bit granulated since I'm
drawing them rather than using the premade circles.)  Unfortunately,
when compiling to postscript I have to use the special postscript
drivers called by the dvips and ps options (and the ifpdf package to
automatically select these).  I tried to write around the commands
that required the extra drivers, but it seems that they're necessary
for straight lines which are neither vertical nor horizontal.  (Unless
I make my straight lines using curves with no curvature, but this is a
kludge and seems likely to get me in trouble at some point in the
future.)

I have attached the ps, dvi, and log files generated when compiling
testQcircuit.tex to a postscript with and without the commands
\xyoption{dvips} and \xyoption{ps}.  (Compiling on my XP machine
without the drivers produces the same kind of errors in the
postscript, but mysteriously the dvi file looks fine there.)

Is this the sort of behavior I should expect?  Are angled lines
supposed to require special postscript drivers?  And are those drivers
known to ruin the dvi file in linux?

Thank you for your time,
Bryan