[Xy-pic] Conflict between unicode-math and xypic

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sat Nov 6 03:01:09 CET 2010

Hi Rémy, and Will,

On 06/11/2010, at 9:04 AM, Rémy Oudompheng wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am encountering a problem when using simultaneously xypic and
> unicode-math packages with lualatex. The following file compiles
> correctly with xelatex:

I'm trying to trace this, but I'm having a problem
getting this to compile smoothly.
On my system, using XeLaTeX it fails with:

! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \zf at update@ff
                         {+ssty=0}
l.5 \setmathfont{XITS Math}

I've manually updated to the latest  fontspec  unicode-math  expl3
and also the XITS fonts.

Further tracing reveals this problem to originate with lines 1061-1066
of  unicodemath.sty :

\xetex_or_luatex:nnn { \um at zf@feature {ScriptStyle} }
  { \zf at update@ff{+ssty=0} }
  { \zf at update@ff{+ssty=1} }
\xetex_or_luatex:nnn { \um at zf@feature {ScriptScriptStyle} }
  { \zf at update@ff{+ssty=1} }
  { \zf at update@ff{+ssty=2} }

but there is no definition of  \zf at update@ff  in fontspec.sty
or other loaded package.

Will where should this macro be defined?
What is the correct way to fix this?

Using LuaLaTeX there is a similar but different failure:

! Undefined control sequence.
\fontspec_declare_shape:nnnn ...t }}\tl_if_eq:xxT
                                                  {#3}{\itdefault }{\use:x {...
l.6 \setmathfont{XITS Math}

> \documentclass{minimal}
> \usepackage[matrix,arrow]{xy}
> \usepackage{unicode-math}
> \setmathfont{XITS Math}
> \begin{document}
> \xymatrix{ a \ar[r] & b }
> \end{document}

In fact the above errors are not fatal for this coding.
I get the results as shown in the attached images.
Neither exhibits the result you report.