[Xy-pic] Quick question on INSTALL.* texts

Kristoffer H Rose krisrose at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 29 03:18:17 CEST 2010

Thanks, Ross...it seems like the new INSTALL will be alright for most so
I've delegated the old install files to the Historic subdirectory, which
will then be referenced from the single INSTALL file.  The web really
makes things easier...
__
Kristoffer H Rose, ph.d. <krisrose at us.ibm.com> +1(914)784-7642 (fax -6324)
IBM T.J.Watson Research Center, PO Box 704, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

Ross Moore <ross at ics.mq.edu.au>
04/28/2010 04:53 PM

Kristoffer H Rose/Watson/IBM at IBMUS
cc
Xy-pic mailing list <xy-pic at tug.org>
Subject
Re: Quick question on INSTALL.* texts

Hi Kris,

On 29/04/2010, at 6:10 AM, Kristoffer H Rose wrote:

> Ross: Just quickly: do we still need the INSTALL.OzTeX and
> INSTALL.Textures documents in the Xy-pic release?

I'd doubt that anyone still uses OzTeX.
It has been unsupported for years.
TeXshop is much better for TeX on a Mac.

Textures, however, is supposed to have had a re-birth.
I've not used it, so it's not at all clear whether it
still uses its own \special syntax -- I'd guess that
yes it does, though may now handle the dvips ones too.

> Everyone: anyone still using OzTeX and Textures with manual
> installations of Xy-pic?

But as with all things TeX, they should not be deleted,
but stored away somewhere, accessible from the website,
so that they could be re-used in 10-15 years time,
if really needed. A paragraph in the manual can mention
that such an archive exists, with a link to it.

The life-cycle of new editions of technical books can be
of this kind of length, but that of hardware and software
upgrades is much shorter. So it may well become necessary
to maintain access to software modules used decades earlier.

> Cheers, Kris
> __

Hope this helps,

                 Ross