[Xy-pic] Problem with curly arrow

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Apr 9 00:05:23 CEST 2010

Hi Yannis,

On 08/04/2010, at 1:08 AM, Yannis Haralambous wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in the following formula (typeset with xy tips), the right arrow
> looks ugly because of the bad junction between the curly shaft and
> the tip. Is there some way to move the tip a bit upwards to improve
> this?
>
> $$\xymatrix{  V \ar[r]^-f & W \perp H & W  \ar@{~>}[l]}.$$
>
> Can this be done on a global level (for all ~ tips of the document)?

The Xy-tips never worked well with squiggly arrows.
That is one of the reasons why we implemented CM-tips as well.

You can use CM-tips just on the squigglies, with Xy-tips
everywhere else, but you need to do a bit of editing.

Firstly define a new directional; e.g.

     \newdir{t>}{{\UseTips\dir{>}}}

Beware the number of braces needed here.

Then specify the arrowheads to squigglies as: @{~{t>}}

For example:

$$\xymatrix{  V \ar[r]^-f & W \perp H & W  \ar@{~{t>}}[l]}.$$

> Thanks in advance
>
> Yannis

Also, squigglies look better (indeed Xy-pic diagrams generally)
if you use the PostScript back-end, and compile using
   dvips+Ghostscript  mode.
If you have other reasons for not wanting to do this, then
you can use other  ps--pdf tricks like  eps4pdf  or  pdftricks
packages, to do the diagrams as sub-jobs of the main processing,
ultimately being imported as PDF images.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross at maths.mq.edu.au