[Xy-pic] Fw: Update on pdftex support for xy-pic?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Sep 26 06:41:16 CEST 2008

Hi Kris,

It has been a long time since we've seen each other.
How's life treating you?

On 26/09/2008, at 1:09 PM, Kristoffer H Rose wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Does anyone have current info on PDF and Xy-pic to help Normand?

Yes. That server is really down, after ~12 years of service.
I hope to be able to get sites from it back up and running,
perhaps next week (but don't hold your breath :-).

The best way to get top-quality complicated Xy-pic diagrams
into pdfTeX-generated documents is to make images of them
--- using TeX+dvips+Ghostscript and the ps-backend for Xy-pic .

There are various ways to do this;
    e.g.  using  ps4pdf.sty  or  pdftricks.sty .
The latter uses TeX's  \write18  to run a sub-job from the
main pdfTeX job, then import the result of this as a PDF graphic.

Thus there is no loss of quality this way, and you can use
all the special PostScript features that we developed.
Also, images don't get updated unless their coding changes,
so the technique is quite efficient.

> Also: should we perhaps move the Xy-pic home page over to a wiki
> page so we can more easily accumulate patches and such?

That's a good idea, provided someone is prepared
to put in the necessary work to set it up and keep
it well maintained.

> Cheers,
>         Kris

Hope this helps,