[Xy-pic] Text on circle

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Jan 29 19:33:23 CET 2008

Hello Mirko,

On 30/01/2008, at 2:34 AM, Mirko Viviani wrote:

> I need to write a text on a circular path, starting from "angle"
> Alpha to angle Beta.
> Can this be done using xy-pic?

Not really.
You would need to work out the exact position for each letter
and place it individually, rotated by the correct amount.

There is no coding in Xy-pic to do the required calculations.
Writing this in TeX would allow you to use it with
   \rotatebox  and be totally independent of Xy-pic,
though it may be a little easier within the Xy-pic setting.

Normally this kind of effect is done using PostScript.
I'm sure that you can find some coding for this, somewhere
on the web.  Maybe it is a feature in PS-tricks, or pgf ?

Having this, it can be included in an Xy-pic diagram,
just like anything else, as an <object>  (or \hbox).

> --
>
> -- Mirko Viviani --
> GPG-PGP Public Key: 0xE4E8FAB1
> Fingerprint: 14D3 A373 E926 7737 DF32 502B A4C4 1CE2 E4E8 FAB1

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au