[Xy-pic] Descent of displaymode

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Oct 24 23:47:34 CEST 2007

Hi Michael,

On 25/10/2007, at 6:25 AM, Michael Barr wrote:

> Is there any way of getting displaymode to descend into xy-pic?
> Here is a
> sample file:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[arrow]{xy}
> \begin{document}
>
>  \[\xy
> \POS(0,0)*+!!<0ex,.55ex>{\prod_{i\in I}L_i}\ar@{>}
> (0,-20)*+!!<0ex,.55ex>{\prod_{j\in J}L_j}%
> \endxy\]
>
> \end{document}
>
> The subscripts look silly.  Of course, I write \prod\limits_{i\in I}
> L_i,
> but that is a nuisance.  Is there any way of making that the
> default.  Of
> course, I don't want \limits built-in, only for macros that
> normally do it
> in displaymode.  It makes no difference, incidentally, if you use \
> [...\]
> or $$...$$.

Xy-pic sets everything inside an \hbox before placing it into the
diagram.
(Otherwise it cannot control the exact positioning.)
So any outer specifications of \textstyle, \displaystyle,
\scriptstyle, etc.
are quite irrelevant to the way objects are built.

Instead you can make adjustments to macros  \objectstyle  for <object>s
and  \labelstyle  for <label>s  on  <connection>s  (e.g. arrow and
path-segments).

These are just ordinary TeX macros, so you can redefine them
using \def or \renewcommand, or simply  \let\objectstyle\displaystyle .

e.g., add this to your example: