[Xy-pic] pdflatex & xypic in miktex ++ defining colors

Jonny Smith joesm77 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 20:03:11 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have 2 little questions and was wondering if someone could help me out...

1) pdflatex and xypic on miktex and winedt.

I am using miktex 2.7 and winedt and wanna pdflatex my posters. Like many
other users latex, dvips, and ps2pdf is not preferred. At

http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/MacOSX-TeX-Digests/2002/MacOSX-TeX_Digest_04-21-02.html

I was reading some instruction on how to make that work. I did the windows
equivalent, i.e. copied all the xy*.tex files into the folder

C:\programs\MiKTeX2.7Basic\tex\generic

and did

\usepackage[xypdf,all,color]{xy}

in the header of my latex file. When pdflatexing It would then complain
saying

! Xy-pic error: No `xypdf@' option.
\xyerror@ ...#2}\fi \errmessage {Xy-pic error: #1}
                                                  }
l.75

Do you know what to do?

2) I was playing with those color options, wanted to define some colors
doing

\xdefinecolor{mygreen}{cmyk}{0.92,0,0.87,0.09}

as well as

\newxycolor{mygreen}{0.92,0,0.87}

\xy
(0,-30)*+[F**:mygreen:<10pt>]{
          X = \dots
}};
\endxy

Turns out that this box is filled entirely black. Another box

(0,-60)*+[F**:red:<10pt>]{
          X = \dots
}};

in this file, however, becomes red as supposed to. Was then having

\usepackage{xcolor}
\usepackage[dvips,all,color]{xy}

in the header.

Similarly, the line

\newxyColor{lightred}{0.7}{red}{}

I found at

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/xy-pic/2003-June/000166.html

was not doing any better and and after latexing it gave

Error: /undefined in TeXcolorred
Operand stack:
   --dict:1155/1684(ro)(G)--   0.7
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1893   1   3

and things in YAP. I'm kinda surprised this is not working as I was reading
some earlier postings for instance at

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/xy-pic/2004-November/000287.html

reporting positive results...

If you have an idea on how to fix it ... that'd be appreciated. Thanks,

Joe