[Xy-pic] Double-quotes with Babel in XYPic

Kristoffer H Rose krisrose at us.ibm.com
Mon May 14 18:14:23 CEST 2007

Dear Daniel,

You write, on the Xy-pic User's Guide:

> I think you should point out  the following in the next version:
>
> When you need to place double-quotes while using the package Babel in any

> other language than English, especially German, it is vital to precede
this
> by the command \shorthandoff{"}, or else the double-quotes won't be
> recognized by LaTeX. If you could please mention that in the guide in a
> future version, it took me hours to figure out what the problem was!
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Yours sincerely,
> Daniel Kupelwieser.

Many thanks for the hint: that is a novel solution to a problem that has
plagued many Xy-pic + babel users.  I'm forwarding it to the (archived)
list where Xy-pic is being discussed now.  There are no plans of releasing
any further versions of Xy-pic but if there is interest we can, of course,
move the entire project sources to SourceForge which will make it easier to
grow the package further.  (The lack of a good PDF backend is still
itching, for example. :-)

Best regards,
      Kris

__                      <krisrose at us.ibm.com> +1(914)784-7642 (fax 6324)
Kristoffer H Rose, Ph.D. <http://www.research.ibm.com/people/k/krisrose>
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, PO Box 704, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598