[Xy-pic] xy-pic conflicts with Babel?

Aivo Jürgenson kala at tux.linux.ee
Sat Apr 15 08:42:17 CEST 2006

Hi,

Thanks for this explanation. Although the proposed fix to load Xy-pic
after other packages do not work and still gives the same error message,
I was able to find another solution from
http://www.tug.org/TeXnik/mainFAQ.cgi?file=misc/misc

"xypic and babel
The xy-package redefines the catcode for " which causes problems with
babel. So still use it in the following way:

\shorthandoff{"}
% xypic stuff
\shorthandon{"}"

So, the following test-file works fine: