[Xy-pic] simple question? uniform space between objects in xymatrix

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Jun 26 02:09:06 CEST 2005

Forgive me for posting to a list I have just subscribed to, but I have
spent considerably more time than I'd like to admit trying to figure
out what I hope should be something very simple: I would just like to
format xymatrix so that the space between the objects, which vary in
size, is uniform. For example, I have a 4x3 matrix, with entries about
the size shown below, varying in height from one to four Chinese
characters, which I would like to be formatted as follows,

X	X	X

X	X	X
X	X	X

X	X	X
X	X	X

X	X	X
X	X	X
X	X	X
X	X	X

That is, I would simply like to have the spaces between all of the rows
approximately the same. I have repeatedly read through xy-pic Reference
Manual and Guide, and have tried all kinds of combinations of @, @C,
@R, @M, @!, @!0, all kinds of add ops, +, -=, +=, -, =, and various
dimensions, but I'm not a TeX or LaTeX expert, and in the end, I still
don't really understand what I'm doing, or even what to expect when I
make a change. Instead I get something like,

X	X	X

X	X	X
X	X	X

X	X	X
X	X	X

X	X	X
X	X	X
X	X	X
X	X	X

Is there a simple way to set xymatrix so there is a column space of say
2mm and row space of 2mm, no matter what the size of the entries? Are
there other sources I can look at for documentation?

If you reply, please also cc: a copy of the email message directly to
me, if you could.

Thanks very much,

Roger

Roger Hart
Assistant Professor, Departments of History and Asian Studies
University of Texas at Austin

office: Room 405, Garrison Hall
office phone: 512-475-7258
department fax: 512-475-7222