[Xy-pic] Saving and restoring id-labels.

gabriele balducci balducci at dschgrazlin2.univ.trieste.it
Thu Oct 14 08:21:16 CEST 2004

Hello,

> Hello Mårten,
>

> On 13/10/2004, at 11:54 PM, Mårten Segerkvist wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > In the Xy-Pic User's Guide, the answer to exercise 18 on page 14, that
> > is:
> >
> > \xymatrix{
> > A \ar[r] ^a="a" & B \ar[r] ^b="b" & C
> >   \ar @/^/ "a";"b" }
> >
> > results in the following message while parsed LaTeX:
> >
> > <xymatrix
> > ! Use of \next@ doesn't match its definition.
> > <argument> \xyeatall@ \everyentry@ A \ar [r] ^a="
> >                                                  a"
> > l.224   \ar @/^/ "a";"b" }
>
> This looks like trouble with the " character.
>
> What other packages (e.g. Babel) and options are you using ?
> Is there anything that changes the \catcode of " ?

I experienced the same problem just because of a clash between babel and
xy. All troubles went away putting the following babel command after
\begin{document}:

          \begin{document}
          % this will avoid annoying clash between babel and xy
          \shorthandoff{"}

HTH

Ciao

--
Gabriele Balducci - Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche - Via L. Giorgieri 1
I-34127 TRIESTE - tel: I-040-5583957 - fax: I-040-5583903
e-mail: balducci at univ.trieste.it