[Xy-pic] Math fonts

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue May 6 22:00:05 CEST 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Michael Abbott wrote:

> > For example when running LaTeX on the command
> > \[ \xymatrix{ \mathbb{R} \ar[r]^{d} & \mathbb{R} } \]
> >
> > I get the following error (twice):
> >
> > ! You can't use `\spacefactor' in math mode.
> > \@ ->\spacefactor
> >                    \@m
> > l.19 \xy@{\save }{\save@ }
> >                            %

That looks like something is being expanded too soon,
within the \xymatrix.

What other packages are being loaded ?
Something may have redined the \[ ... \]  environment
to look for an optional argument, hence expanding \xymatrix
at an inappropriate time.

Try the following programmer tricks:

 \[ \relax \xymatrix{ \mathbb{R} \ar[r]^{d} & \mathbb{R} } \]

and

\DeclareRobustCommand{\RR}{\mathbb{R}}    % best in the preamble

\[ \xymatrix{ \RR \ar[r]^{d} & \RR } \]

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore