[Xy-pic] Dotted arrows and dvips

R.P.I. Lewis rpil2@cam.ac.uk
13 May 2002 17:47:32 +0100

Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au> writes:

> > If I do:
> >
> > \documentclass{article}
> > \usepackage[dvips,arrow,matrix]{xy}
> > \begin{document}
> > \xymatrix{A\ar@{.>}[r] & B}
> > \end{document}
> >
> > and run (LaTeX and) dvips -o, the resulting .ps does not seem to have a
> > dotted arrow (previewing in Gnome-gv).  But if i omit the dvips option
> > I get the expected dots.
> >
> > Am I supposed to have specified any extra options to dvips to get the dots?
>
> No, it should happen automatically, with the dots and arrow-heads
> being specified with PostScript \special commands.
>
> When I run your example (renamed as artest.tex), and use  dvips -o .....
> then I get files:
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 ross     staff      25018 May 13 18:46 artest-dvips.ps
> -rw-r--r--   1 ross     staff       6209 May 13 18:46 artest-fonts.ps
>
> The latter is with no 'dvips' option specified.
>
> The difference in size is due mainly to the Xy-pic PostScript header
> that gets written into the .ps file.
>

> Ghostscript shows dots in both files; though the mechanisms are
> quite different.

ah... OK so it seems that if i run `gs artest-dvips.ps' I do see the
dots, even though running `gv' or Gnome-gv does not.  So it appears
that everything is working ok after all, and it is just the previewer
that doesnt display the file properly.

Thanks very much for the help and sorry for not realising this myself!

> What file sizes do you get?

-rw-r--r--    1 rpil2    rpil2       24564 May 13 17:19 artest-dvips.ps
-rw-r--r--    1 rpil2    rpil2       15337 May 13 17:21 artest-fonts.ps

> The last 60 or so lines should be as follows:
>

>  /circhar{gsave dup 3 gt{7 sub neg}if dup 3 eq{pop dup 2 sqrt -2 div
> mul}{dup 1 eq{pop dup 2 sqrt 2 div mul} {0 eq{dup}{0}ifelse}ifelse}ifelse
> 0 translate 3 1 roll circ grestore}bind def /c /circhar load def
>
>  end end

yes that seems the same as mine!