[Xy-pic] Re: l2h doubles xypic image sizes?

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 05:30:42 +1100 (EST)

> Check out
>
> http://planetmath.org:88/test/debrujin/
>
> It is a test run of latex2html on a math entry that includes an xypic graph.
> It shows how latex2html always produces images that are about twice too high,
> with the top half blank.  I poked around a bit and couldn't figure out why this

For alignment purposes, LaTeX2HTML equalizes the height and depth of the images
that it creates, when the depth is non-zero.

When using \xymatrix, the image is designed with a baseline below the top
row of cells, hence is mostly depth.
This explains why LaTeX2HTML has added blank space above, to equalise the height
to the depth.

To prevent this, use Xy-pic itself to prepare the picture centred:

\begin{xy}
 *!C\xybox{\xymatrix{...
 }}\end{xy}

when using LaTeX;
or in plain TeX:
 \xy*!C\xybox{\xymatrix{....}}\endxy

> should be happening, so before I make an ugly post-processing hack to crop the
> offending images, I thought maybe you might have some ideas...

Yes, of course.

Having been instrumental in writing both pieces of software,
I've seen the problem before and know an easy solution
for having them work well together.   :-)

> Thanks,

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore