[XeTeX] "typeset by bidi" message

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Sun Jan 28 02:25:41 CET 2018

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018, Philip Taylor (RHUoL) wrote:
> As \usepackage is under the control of the LaTeX team, could its behaviour
> not be amended to check if #1 = "bidi", and if so, interpolate "[logo=off]
> unless "[logo=on]" is already present ?

It could, but adding code to every invocation of \usepackage everywhere
just for this one case seems like it could lead to an escalating chain of
more and more complicated cases to deal with.  What happens if other
packages also create logo "features" - will we include overrides for them
all, in the global \usepackage command that everybody uses in every
document?  The precedent of doing it for one might make it seem necessary
to do it for every similar package.  What if bidi's feature changes its
name in a new version, or becomes harder to disable - will \usepackage
have to track versions of bidi and do what it takes to disable the logo in
each version?  The amount of code needed could quickly become significant.
I think there is a human issue here that will not be solved by a purely
technical fix.

--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.