[XeTeX] hyphenation cancelled through footnote

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 16:33:35 CET 2018

> Am Wed, 03 Jan 2018 14:35:56 +0100 schrieb
> hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de:
>
> > When editing Sanskrit texts with very long compounds, avoiding manual
> > hyphenation is extremely time
> > saving. XeLaTeX fortunately takes care of this, but the mechanism is
> > cancelled by footnotes within
> > the compounded word. In the example below the \varc{}{} causes the
> > error. Any idea on how to enable
> > hyphenation under such conditions?
>
> I see no difference with and without \varc. In both cases I get an
> overful line.
>
> What texsystem are you using?

Yes, you get an overflow line but not so much, less than 1pt. The problem
is that there is no expandable/shrinkable space, so with my redefinition
the word is hyphenated at the first place with smallest possible overflow
(in the part after \varc). \hskip 0pt says TeX to treat the parts before
and after \varc as separate words. Text in Indic scripts can be hyphenated
after each group started with a vyanjana and ending with a svara, so
\patterns are not generated by patgen but made agorithmically. Thus the
compound word can be broken by \hskip 0pt after any svara and both parts
will certainly have a good match in \patterns. Jürgen's definition of \varc
prevents finding a match in \patterns so that the whole word with \varc in
its middle remain unhyphenated on the first line which is overflowed more
than 69pt. In addition, I forgot to mention that TeX never hyphenates the
first word of a paragraph which is another problem. Thus if \varc appeared
too far then even my solution will not help. It will be necessary to force
TeX to think that there is an invisible word with zero width at the
beginning of a paragraph followe by a fixed zero-width space.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz