[XeTeX] why does Latin Modern Mono have some stretch and shrink with XeTeX ?

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 14:21:50 CET 2017

> Using XeTeX without fontspec is a relatively unusual case and it's
> unsurprising there hasn't been a lot of time spent on testing that.  The
> engine and package go together.

It may become slightly less unusual after this week's latex release as now
latex defaults to TU (Unicode) encoding with xetex and luatex
so the initial state for \ttfamiliy is OpenType latin modern monospace

However we will put out a patch level 1 release in the next day or so that
sets the font parameters 3 and 4 to zero in the fd file as in my
so the default setting of typewriter text will not stretch word spaces
in xelatex
just as in pdf and lua latex.

David