[XeTeX] [tex-live] Problem with XeTeX's (and perhaps other binaries -- not investigated) handling of --output-directory

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 09:09:13 CET 2017

On 14 January 2017 at 10:39, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> ​...​
>
> If (as I do) one uses Dropbox to mirror one's work for security, the last
> thing one needs is for Dropbox to continually synch one's ephemeral files
> (.aux, .log, .ind/idx, .pdf, etc), whence my unvarying use of
> --output-directory via TeXworks configuration options.
>
> ** Phil.

​I routinely work on tex projects in my Dropbox file area. I mean every
day, all the time.  I've never noticed a problem with Dropbox mirroring my
ephemeral files, even the synctex one.  I have moderately fast wifi at home
and fast ethernet at work; it might be different if the bandwidth was low
and slow.  The little dropbox icon shows that my files are updated more or
less instantly.  I honestly have never noticed any overhead.

Best,
Dominik