[XeTeX] Mixed Roman and Indian alphabets for Sanskrit

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 15:59:28 CET 2017

> Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
>
> Even if this works, I am unhappy with the terminological confusion between
> scripts and languages.  This seems to be built in to Polyglossia.
>
> Is this not, rather, a feature of Opentype [1, 2] fonts, where one writes
> (in XeTeX, for example)
>
>     \font \thisfont = "Whatever:script=xxx;language=yyy" ?

Yes, that's right. \language has been in TeX for a long time. Its role is
to switch hyphenation patterns and the packages as Babel and Polyglossia
switch other parameters in addition, \lefthyphenmin, \righthyphenmin,
\frenchspacing etc. Script is defined in OpenType. This consists of a set
of rules used to render the series of Unicode codepoints to glyphs. These
rules are not defined by Sanskrit as such, because, for instance, the
Malayalam script contains two-part matras but Devanagari does not have such
a feature. The rendering rules are independent of the language, if you use
Devanagari, you will use the same rendering rules for Hindi, Marathi,
Nepali.

> Philip Taylor
> --------
> [1] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/scripttags.htm