[XeTeX] ifcat changed?

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 16:50:30 CEST 2017

Hello,
I have studied a bit the source code of XeTeX and luaTeX. XeTex definesa procedure that is used to insert primitive commands into a hash table.The procedure;s declaration is as follows:
procedure primitive(@!s:str_number;@!c:quarterword;@!o:halfword);
This is not exactly Pascal but I think one understands what is going on.Now luaTeX inserts the TeX primitives with the following command
#  define primitive_tex(a,b,c,d)    primitive((a),(b),(c),(d),tex_command)
where function primitive is declared as follows:
extern void primitive(const char *ss, quarterword c, halfword o, halfword off,
                      int cmd_origin);
XeTeX uses catcodes to compare commands, while luaTeX has special command codeswhich are different from catcodes. I think this approach is better. However, itis my understanding that the problem that started this thread cannot be solved trivially.
A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece