[XeTeX] new version of HarfBuzz

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 17:15:41 CEST 2017

On 24/04/2017 15:36, Bobby de Vos wrote:
> On 2017-04-22 01:36, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> So pulling a harfbuzz update into texlive/xetex and rebuilding would
>> indeed be beneficial.
>
> Am I correct that I could avoid rebuilding xetex on my Ubuntu Linux
> system? The binary /usr/bin/xetex is dynamically linked, and I have
> HarfBuzz and Graphite2 compiled from source and installed in /usr/local.
> The ldd command (ldd /usr/bin/xetex) reports those two libraries are
> loaded from /usr/local, and xetex -version reports
>
> Compiled with Graphite2 version 1.3.6; using 1.3.9
> Compiled with HarfBuzz version 1.0.1; using 1.4.5

OK, it sounds like if you update your locally-installed harfbuzz to
1.4.6, that version of xetex should immediately benefit from the fix.

> The xetex binary as installed by the Tex Live installer in /usr/local
> does not seem to load those two libraries.

Right; the TL-distributed binaries avoid dynamic linking as far as
possible, in order to maximize portability and consistency. The other
side of this, of course, is that they don't automatically benefit from
library updates.