[XeTeX] Warning from fontspec on script not existing

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chyavana at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 19:37:10 CEST 2016

I am typesetting text that contains English, Sanskrit, and Tamil scripts.

My MWE file is:
-----
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
   \setmainfont{Source Serif Pro}
	\setsansfont{Source Sans Pro}
	\setmonofont{Inconsolata}
	\newfontfamily{\tamil}[Script=Tamil,Scale=0.82]{Lohit Tamil}
	\newfontfamily{\sanskrit}[Script=Devanagari]{Lohit Devanagari}
%
\begin{document}
This is English text.

This is Sanskrit text: {\sanskrit क्षिप्रं हि मानुषे लोके सिद्धिर्भवति कर्मजा}

This is Tamil text: {\tamil கற்க கசடறக் கற்பவை கற்றபின் நிற்க அதற்கு தக}
\end{document}
-----

All the fonts are freely available and recognized on my Linux system.

It used to compile with xelatex without any error or warning messages in
TeXLive 2016 but emits the following warnings with TeXLive 2016:

* fontspec warning: "script-not-exist"
*
* Font 'Lohit Tamil' does not contain script 'Tamil'.
* fontspec warning: "script-not-exist"
*
* Font 'Lohit Devanagari' does not contain script 'Devanagari'.

I am able to compile it and get the attached output PDF file, which is
as expected.

Nevertheless, the warning tells me that something is not quite right.
Why is the warning issued and what corrective action must I take?

Many thanks.

Chandra