[XeTeX] question about ScriptPercentScaleDown

Antonis Tsolomitis antonis.tsolomitis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 16:35:43 CEST 2016

On 10/10/2016 05:19 μμ, Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 10/10/2016 12:26, Antonis Tsolomitis wrote:
>>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I am not sure if this is the correct list for such a question... if not,
>> I would be glad if someone can direct me to the correct list.
>>
>> I am developing a Math Table for a font (to be released with OFL
>> license) and I have a
>> difficulty with the parameters ScriptPercentScaleDown and
>> ScriptScriptPercentScaleDown.
>>
>> If I do not set any point size in the documentclass (so it defaults to
>> 10pt)
>> everything works fine.
>>
>> But if I set the 11pt or the 12pt option, xelatex (as well as lualatex)
>> ignore the
>> ScriptPercentScaleDown and ScriptScriptPercentScaleDown
>> parameters and default to 80% and 60% respectively.
>>
>> Do I miss something here or have I hit a bug..., maybe?
>>
>> Let me also mention that I just checked with Asana-Math and the behavior
>> is the same.
>
> Could you provide a minimal testcase (using Asana-Math if your font
> isn't yet ready to be made available for others to test) demonstrating
> the problem?
>
> Offhand, I think this may be an issue with the unicode-math package (I
> presume that's what you're using?) rather than the actual engine.
>
> JK

Sure, but to test you will have to modify Asana-Math at this point. So I
attach a minimal example.

1. Open Asana-Math.otf in fontforge. Go to Element → Other Info → Math Info
     Modify ScriptPercentScaleDown, to something that will make it easy
to spot the problem. Say to 120.
     Generate fontfiles, producing Asana-Math.otf, and make sure you
export the Math table in it's options.

2. Run xelatex on my example (set at 12pt). You will see in the output
that the exponent is smaller than the
     base, although we have instructed in the Math table the engine/font
to upscale the exponents to 120%

3. Now modify my attached file by removing the 12pt in the documentclass
options.
     Re run xelatex. You will see that now the exponent scales properly
and it is larger that the base.

Could be a bug in the unicode-math package. I just do not know.

Thanks,

Antonis.