[XeTeX] woff file

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Oct 6 00:45:30 CEST 2016

We're getting a coredump from xelatex under certain circumstances.  It's
reproducible for a given input file, but we haven't figured out a
minimal file that will cause it.  My hypothesis at the moment (and this
is about hypothesis #53) is that it's caused by an update I did recently
from the SIL Scheherazade font version 1-something to the latest v2.100.

I was planning on uninstalling that version and going back to an earlier
version, but I noticed s.t. odd.  If I take the .xdv output of xelatex
and try to run xdvipdfmx on it, I get the following error (not a
coredump, xdvipdfmx just exits after this error msg):
-----------
][30][31][32][33][34][35][36][37][38][39][40][41][42][43][44][45
xdvipdfmx:fatal: Cannot proceed without the font:
/groups/tools/fonts/Scheherazade-2.100/web/Scheherazade-Regular.woff
-----------
And of course this filename appears in the .xdv file.

The .woff file in fact is there (along with the .ttf files), so I'm not
clear why the error msg says it can't proceed without it.  But what I
really don't understand is why it would want a .woff file in the first
place.  My understanding is that .woff files are for web pages, not
PDFs.

Also, I'm not clear how xdvipdfmx knows about the
Scheherazade-Regular.woff file.  fc-list --verbose doesn't list any such
fontfile, and I thought xelatex with the fontspec package just knew
about whatever fontfiles fc-list knew about.

So my question is, is there any legitimate reason xelatex and xdvipdfmx
should want a .woff file?

    Mike Maxwell