[XeTeX] How to finish the installation of XeTeX 0.99993 (on MacOS)?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 01:31:57 CET 2016

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 7:53 PM, Herb Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'd expect that you TeX Live distribution installed by MacTeX is perfectly
> fine. I have no idea how you remove the one installed by MacPorts. Follow
> Dick Koch's advice to check the MacTeX installed version. If that is ok
> following my advice should fix things.

Herb's advice should work in systems that are close to Apple standard
configuration, but some applications add strange stuff to the startup
scripts, so
it is highly advisable that users to read up on bash to understand why the
suggested change should work.

If it doesn't work, post the result from "echo $PATH" in a terminal.

Macports pulls in texlive during source installs if needed to format
documentation.  The problem is that macports also adds itself to the front
of
the PATH in one of the bash startup files. so the macports vrsion of TeX
software get run by editors and IDE's that respect this setting.   In most
cases the simple fix is to add the MacTeX bin directory before the macports
bin directory in this setting.  This doesn't affect macports builds because
builds use an adjusted PATH, not the user's default.  It should be
necessary or helpful to remove macorts' texlive as the problem will return
the next
time a package that formats documentation with a TeX program is installed
from source.   There are other programs that mess with the PATH, so
it is best that the user learn a bit about the bash startup files so they
are able to manage this properly for their needs.

> If the MacTeX version isn't  there we'll need more information about how
> you installed it; e.g., is the install on a fresh version of Sierra or not,
> etc.
>
> Good Luck,
> Herb Schulz
>
> > On Nov 13, 2016, at 5:35 PM, Christian Boitet <Christian.Boitet at imag.fr>
> wrote:
> >
> > G'day,                            13/11/16
> >
> > Vielen Dank Herb für die schnelle Antwort.
> >
> > Ja zur Frage.
> >
> > (Ich schrieb "I reinstalled MacLive, and then MacTeX-2016, which are
> supposed to come with XeTeX. No way.
> > The message is always the same...")
> >
> > Maybe I should try to uninstall all TeX-related files and reinstall, but
> it is too complex to do it by hand. The installers are supposed to replace
> what should be replaced, but obviously don't erase all what should be
> erased.
> >
> > Any hint of a "total clean uninstaller" for TeX and related
> files/programs?
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Xan (Grenoble)
> >

> >> Le 13 nov. 2016 à 23:06, Herb Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> a écrit :
> >>
> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> Sorry for the top post.
> >>
> >> Have you installed MacTeX? It installs a full TeX Live distribution
> when includes xe(la)tex.
> >>
> >> Good Luck,
> >> Herb Schulz

> for lectures, slides, conference papers, etc. for many years, I have a
> complete reference book, and always found answers in it or on the Web.
> her Mac and passed me her files to do some debugging concerning the
> bibliography.

> MacTeX-2016, which are supposed to come with XeTeX. No way.

> directories:
> texmf-local/web2c:/opt/local/share/texmf-local/web2c:/opt/
> share/texmf-local/web2c:/opt/local/bin/texmf-local/web2c:/
> opt/local/texmf-local/web2c:/opt/texmf-local/web2c:/opt/
> local/bin/share/texmf/web2c:/opt/local/share/texmf/web2c:/
> opt/share/texmf/web2c:/opt/local/bin/texmf/web2c:/opt/
> local/texmf/web2c:/opt/texmf/web2c:/.:/opt/local/share/
> texmf/web2c:/opt/local/share/texmf/web2c
> directory

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia