[XeTeX] Random number primitives

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 18:51:29 CET 2016

> It depends. currently, if you set the seed you get the same numbers
> from luatex and pdftex.
> if xetex uses a different RNG then you would get different numbers in
> xetex. that complicates some
> things not least testing cross platform compatibility.

When I use XeTeX and not pdfTeX I do it for a good reason not because today
I want to eat brocolli and tomorrow a steak! Personally, I never use luaTeX
and I use pdfTeX onlyg in very rare situations, when I am forced to do so.
So I do not care if I would get a different sequence of numbers.

> Perhaps. But that wasn't the current request.

Let's say that we make this request into a new request.

> Oh there would be _less_ code probably as you'd use a system call rather
> than
> implement the function inline, that isn't the issue.

OK then let's use drand48!

A.S.