[XeTeX] Random number primitives

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 16:46:28 CET 2016

> A major aim of the original request was to bring the functionality of
> the xetex engine into line with pdftex and luatex to help in
> developing cross engine macro code. So there are arguments for using
> the same code here unless the existing code is really broken and
> luatex/metafont/pdftex should all change.

Let me say that I find this point of view far too conservative. OK METAFONT
lives in the previous century but luatex and xetex are products of this
century so they must utilize what is better. Also, the pint of introducing
XeTeX was the need to handle things TeX had no provision. Fianlly, it would
an excellent opportunity for XeTeX to do something better that the others....

Regards,

Apostolos