[XeTeX] babel

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Fri Mar 25 04:23:49 CET 2016

Hi Javier,

On Mar 24, 2016, at 5:59 PM, Javier Bezos <jbezosl at gmail.com<mailto:jbezosl at gmail.com>> wrote:

Apostolos,

preface = \textPi \textrho\acctonos \textomicron\textlambda \textomicron\textgamma

XeLaTeX is Unicode aware and can handle Unicode strings. Therefore, I fail to see
why you are doing things this way. The LGR font encoding is an ancient hack that
has no usage anymore.

Of course, in Unicode engines the default captions section
apply, not the captions.licr subsection.

I think that it is absolutely correct that you build in continuing support
for old encodings that may no longer be used with new documents.

The existence of old documents using such encodings certainly
warrants this — especially in the case of archives that process
old (La)TeX sources to create PDFs on the fly.

It is quite possible that in future these will be required to conform
to modern standards, rather than just reproduce exactly what those
sources did in past decades. Then there is the issue of old documents
being aggregated with newer ones, for “Collected Works”-like publications.

It is quite wrong to say that because we now have newer, better methods
that those older methods should be discarded entirely.

I’m facing exactly this problem, adapting  pdfx.sty  to be able to translate
Metadata provided in old encodings: KOI8-R, LGR, OT6 etc.
automatically into UTF-8, because the latter is required by XMP for
requirements to satisfy PDF/A, PDF/X and PDF/E standards.

Javier

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Ross

Dr Ross Moore

Mathematics Dept | Level 2, S2.638 AHH
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114<tel:%2B61%202%209850%209695>
M:+61 407 288 255<tel:%2B61%20409%20125%20670>  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:rick.minter at mq.edu.au>

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au<http://mq.edu.au/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]<http://mq.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.<http://mq.edu.au/>

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.<http://mq.edu.au/>