[XeTeX] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Mar 13 18:10:48 CET 2016

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

>     Then there would need to be a further extension that would allow any
>     package to signal a warning which could be handled in the same way.
>

> In other words, a new TeX primitive will have to be added.

Yes, that is what I meant by "a further extension".

> Nowadays all TeX distros have lua.

The fact that a distribution may have (and include) a particular
scripting language does not mean that a front-end such as TeXworks can
necessarily make use of scripts expressed in that language, surely ?

> I can imagine the following problems:
> Overful \hbox
> Overful \vbox
> Underful \hbox
> Uverful \vbox
> Undefined label
> Duplicate label
> Labels have changed
> Undefined citation
> Duplicate citation
> Missing character in a font
>
> Now suppose that the document contains 5 overful hboxes, 12 underful
> hboxes, 4 underful vboxes, 3 undefined labels, 1 duplicate labes,
> changed labels, 153 missing citation, 52 missing characters. What status
> should be returned so that I could get this information without looking
> into the log file? (Yes/No answer might be sufficient without giving the
> exact numbers.)

--return-non-zero-status-on="all"

would return a non-zero status if any of the TeX warnings (not LaTeX
warnings concerning labels, citations, etc) were generated, which would
enable the front end (TeXworks, or any other) to determine that the
console should not be hidden since it contains important diagnostics.
That is all I am asking for, nothing as sophisticated as you suggest above.

** Phil.