[XeTeX] [texworks] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Mar 13 16:18:04 CET 2016

Philip Taylor wrote:

> Yes, it is the "inspecting the log file" that I am trying to avoid, in
> the interests of efficiency; an inspection of the log file should be
> required (as it currently is) only if the status code returned by *TeX
> is non-zero.

Or to put it even more simply :  inspection of the log file should be
required only if one reasonably suspects that something went amiss
during the compilation; the only efficient way of determining that
something went amiss during the compilation is for *TeX to return a
no-zero status code in such circumstances.  Since "something went amiss"
may well vary from user to user and from project to project, the user
should be able to specify at compile time "Warn me, via the status code,
if any of the following occurred : ...".

** Phil.