[XeTeX] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 15:03:23 CET 2016

So this is a TeXworks question. I googled around, in 2010 there was a similar discussion on the TeXworks list, and at that time it seems that it was decided to keep "overfull boxes" as warnings rather than errors.
Anyway, isn't there some kind of setting in TeXworks for this? Or is there perhaps a command line option for latex "turn warnings into errors", like with gcc?
Wilfred

    On Sunday, March 13, 2016 10:52 PM, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

 Dear Wilfred --

> I haven't followed the discussion in detail, but IMHO it would be
> nonsense to turn overfull boxes into errors, because they are not
> errors, rather the line breaking algorithm could not find a proper way
> to fix things differently.

I am happy to accept that, for some, overfull boxes are not errors; but
they are warnings, and I am asking only that certain categories of
warnings ( selected by the user at compile-time, and in addition to
errors,) should be able to trigger a non-zero status code.

> Remember, there is always the "draft" mode which will clearly show all
> overfull boxes marked with black lines in the final PDF.

"Draft mode" is a LaTeX concept; TeX, by default, shews the black lines,
but when one is working with 300, 400, 500pp+ documents, as I usually
am, searching visually for such things is not really an option.  If
TeXworks could be persuaded not to conceal the console log when such
warnings have been generated, a great deal of user time (and, probably,
the inadvertent release of faulty PDFs) could be saved.

** Phil.