[XeTeX] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Mar 13 14:52:46 CET 2016

Dear Wilfred --

> I haven't followed the discussion in detail, but IMHO it would be
> nonsense to turn overfull boxes into errors, because they are not
> errors, rather the line breaking algorithm could not find a proper way
> to fix things differently.

I am happy to accept that, for some, overfull boxes are not errors; but
they are warnings, and I am asking only that certain categories of
warnings ( selected by the user at compile-time, and in addition to
errors,) should be able to trigger a non-zero status code.

> Remember, there is always the "draft" mode which will clearly show all
> overfull boxes marked with black lines in the final PDF.

"Draft mode" is a LaTeX concept; TeX, by default, shews the black lines,
but when one is working with 300, 400, 500pp+ documents, as I usually
am, searching visually for such things is not really an option.  If
TeXworks could be persuaded not to conceal the console log when such
warnings have been generated, a great deal of user time (and, probably,
the inadvertent release of faulty PDFs) could be saved.

** Phil.