[XeTeX] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 11:00:15 CET 2016

On 13 March 2016 at 09:43, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> Also please consider the following text from Wikipædia :
(Well from Wikipedia actually)

Yes the relevant part is

> On many systems, the higher the value, the more severe the
> cause of the error.

so the status code should be 0 unless an error is reported.

I don't see why that would be a problem with an editor front end like texworks
most of them run tex in scrollmode so they don't stop on errors as far
as I can see.

I think that you are really approaching the problem from the wrong direction.
editors hiding the console output is a problem but the fix should be that the
editors don't do that. As we see on tex.sx all the time people don't even notice
clear errors like undefined commands as they are using front ends that just
force tex to get to the end and show the pdf that results.

David