[XeTeX] Overfull boxes return status of 0 in XeTeX

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Mar 13 09:53:18 CET 2016

A (very) recent discussion on the TeXworks list included the following
extract :

>>> 6) [new] A test file yields (in the log) :
>>>
>>> Overfull \hbox (0.58942pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 20--20
>>> []\bodyfont brian.smith0000 at btinternet.com[]  |
>>>
>>> With "Hide console window" set to either "Automatic" or "On success",
>>> this error message disappears; could TeXworks detect the presence of
>>> overfull box messages in the log and treat them as errors ?
>>
>> Whether the console is closed depends solely on the exit status code of
>> the process that is doing the typesetting. It has nothing to do with the
>> actual log output (or what scripts etc. do with it). If TeX exits with
>> status code 0, the typeset run is considered a success, otherwise it's a
>> failure.
>
> OK, then I will ask Akira-san to investigate the possibility of returning non-zero when overfull boxen are reported.

Would it be possible to change the behaviour of XeTeX such that it
returns a non-zero value when overfull boxen have been generated during
the compilation ?

Philip Taylor