[XeTeX] Grey fonts with XeTeX

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 15:26:42 CEST 2016

On 29 June 2016 at 13:35, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> David Carlisle wrote:
>
> see the color package documentation
>
> I tried this again today, David, and came up with a new problem which I do
> not understand.  Are you able to explain why the insertion of l.~12 :

possibly because sometime last century I spent about half an hour
stealing bits of the latex format code into miniltx.tex until the color
and graphics packages loaded without error into plain, and no one
has tried \pagecolor with plain xetex since then?

>     \pagecolor {black}
>
> causes XeTeX to complain
>
> ! Output routine didn't use all of \box255.
>
> <to be read again>
>
> \end
>
> l.50 \end
>
> ?
>
> Adding \nopagecolor before \end does not help, but removing \pagecolor
> {black} removes the error message.
>
> Minimal code to demonstrate follows, logo attached.

you don't need the logo, an empty \centerline is enough

More exactly the definition of

\def\set at page@color

in xetex.def looks wrong, but no time to debug now may look later but
anyway I'm not sure why it doesn't use the one from dvips.def which
seems to work ok with xetex/xdvipdfmx

\def\set at page@color{\special{%
        background \current at color}}

David