[XeTeX] Embed full font in PDF

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 21:10:49 CEST 2016

> On 2016-07-22 14:55, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

>>> On 2016-07-22 13:29, maxwell wrote:
>>> Moral of the story: upgrade fonts before complaining.
>>>
>> I had an opposite experience a few years ago. It was necessary to
>> downgrade the DejaVu fonts in order to make them work properly with
>> XeTeX. I do not remember the number of the broken version.
>

> I also had another experience with these fonts: stacked diacritics don't
> work with the mono style font.  Six years ago, when I initially reported
> this problem, stacked diacritics would overstrike each other.  They no
> longer overstrike, but the second diacritic winds up instead over the next
> base character (to the right in a left-to-right script).
>
> I should probably use some other sans serif font.  As I recall, the problem
> is that there aren't a lot of sans serif monospaced fonts out there that
> have combining diacritics; DejaVu was about the only one, last time I
> looked.

The customer for whom I prepared a package file for a journal depends
on files from authors and thus has no control over authors' computers.
Finally he decided not to use DejaVu and other special fonts but only
TeX Gyre fonts. Since then they have no problems. DejaVu fonts evolve
too quickly and if you upgrade, the page breaks may change and even
the total number of pages will be different. It really happend and
they were unable to create the final PDF and time was running, I had
to create it on my computer with "better" version of the DejaVu fonts.
I do not want to dehonest the fonts, I just report my problems in the
past. IMHO they are not production ready.

>    Mike Maxwell

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz