[XeTeX] [tex-live] Seemingly inexplicable shift in page origin between TL 2014 and TL 2016

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Fri Jul 15 00:13:36 CEST 2016

Hi Phil,

On Jul 15, 2016, at 6:02 AM, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk<mailto:P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk>> wrote:

Very happy to believe that, Ross (and will test later) but what I do not understand is why things have changed so dramatically in going from TeX Live 2014 to 2016.  In 2014, adding the PDF/X-1A specials made no difference whatsoever to the position of size of the page; in 2016, they cause a vertical displacement.

There have been significant changes, at least in  xdvipdfmx  since 2014.

And the interaction with the color package is also inexplicable.  Anyhow, I first have to come up with a truly MWE and then I will be in a better position to investigate and report back.

Please send me such MWE when you have it.

I’ve been trying a real-world example (Serbian version of TeXLive documentation)
that compiles fine (with one small hiccup that doesn’t seem to affect the result)
using 2016’s  xdvipdfmx , but which crashes out almost immediately with 2014 saying:

SCI:TL-SR16 ross$ /usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/universal-darwin/xdvipdfmx -z 0 -vv --kpathsea-debug 4095 texlive-sr.xdv
<FONTMAP:/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map><FONTMAP:/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvipdfmx/updmap/kanjix.map><FONTMAP:/usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvipdfmx/ckx.map>texlive-sr.xdv -> texlive-sr.pdf
kdebug:fopen(texlive-sr.xdv, rb) => 0xa0e103ec
DVI ID = 7

xdvipdfmx:fatal: Something is wrong. Are you sure this is a DVI file?

Output file removed.
SCI:TL-SR16 ross$

Note that I have maximum verbosity turned on, as well as a lot of  kpathsea  tracing.
Yet still it isn’t clear where it is going wrong.

So I’d appreciate your cut-down MWE to test with both versions.
Then we can play with /MediaBox and /CropBox values, to see whether that
is the cause of what you are getting. Or whether it is something else.

** Phil.

Cheers

Ross

Dr Ross Moore

Mathematics Dept | Level 2, S2.638 AHH
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114<tel:%2B61%202%209850%209695>
M:+61 407 288 255<tel:%2B61%20409%20125%20670>  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:rick.minter at mq.edu.au>

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au<http://mq.edu.au/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]<http://mq.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.<http://mq.edu.au/>

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.<http://mq.edu.au/>