[XeTeX] Σχετ: Plain XeTeX, pdftitle, pdfinfo

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jul 12 08:55:07 CEST 2016

No, tried and no result whatsoever.  I use Adobe Acrobat Pro V7.1, and I regularly use it to follow hyperlinks in PDF (e.g., those from the image captions in "http://rhul.ac.uk/Hellenic-Institute/Research/LPL/Greek-MSS/Catalogue.pdf") but for "http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/pdfx/pdfx.pdf" I saw no effect whatsoever -- the text was of a different colour, but completely inactive.  However, I now see that I had previously been using Acrobat to edit an advertisement, and the currently selected tool was the text touch-up tool rather than the select tool, which does indeed explain the apparent dysfunctionality of the hyperlinks.  I am happy to confirm that (a representative sample of) the hyperlinks in "http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/pdfx/pdfx.pdf" do indeed work as expected.I have only TeX Live 2014 (I always lag one or two releases) but "TeXdoc pdfx" displays the expected document so I may well have them; I will check tomorrow.
> Sounds good.
>
> Check that it is for v.1.5.8 with 81 pages incl. source listing in pdfx.pdf .
> The version number is at bottom right, in the footer.
>
> The one for  v.1.5.6 looks similar at the front, but the docs are much shorter.
> (Only 12 pages w/o source listing.)
> Earlier versions have a different color scheme.
Mine is even earlier (only 9 pp); I shall have to install a more recent version.
> BTW, if you are going to work with PDFs into the future,
> invest in the latest Acrobat Pro DC.
> I don’t know how much it costs for non-academic in the UK,
> but it’ll be the best 100–200 pounds you have ever spent,
> in terms of the time that it will save you.
I still have full academic status (Honorary Research Assistant) so could get it at an academic price, but as I wrote previously I unfortunately have no budget for such things -- all work that I have done since taking early retirement eight years ago has been strictly /pro bono/.  I also find ('though I may be wrong in the case of Adobe Acrobat) that modern versions of packages with which I am familiar in an older guise tend to have very non-ergonomic and cryptic user interfaces as (e.g.,) text labels are phased out in favour of cryptic icons and/or tiles.  Looking at Adobe Reader DC, for example, it looks as if it is intended for use only on a tablet or similar -- the "Tools" menu uses huge tiles and falls off the bottom of my (reasonably large) screen.  Support for modern devices may be commendable, but not when it is at the expense of support for the traditional keyboard and monitor setup.
--

Philip Taylor