[XeTeX] misplaced accents in printout only?

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 04:14:34 CET 2016

On 18 January 2016 at 15:58, David J. Perry <hospes.primus at verizon.net>
wrote:

> I assume you have already considered: are the fonts embedded in the PDF?
> Did he enter the characters as precomposed combinations or by using
> combining marks?  First option more likely, I imagine.
>
> ​Precomposed chars for text entry, and yes, the fonts are embedded.
They're all CM fonts.​

This is a real shot in the dark, but here goes:
> Is it possible that, at some point in the process, the precomposed
> characters were decomposed and then put back together in a way that
> affected the output?  If the font in use contains precomposed combinations
> but does not support positioning of combining marks this might happen. ???

​I guess I can try putting
\XeTeXinputnormalization=1
\tracinglostchars=1
\tracingonline=1​
​into the preliminaries.  I just got the TeX files a few hours ago, so when
I have time, I'll have a look at the code, and see whether processing on my
machine makes any difference.

Meanwhile, I'm at home now, and I've just printed out that page kkk.pdf
that I sent around, and it works just fine on my Epson WF-3640.  The HP
printer/driver is looking more and more guilty.

Dominik