[XeTeX] Why XeTeX runs are non-deterministic?

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 20 09:11:56 CET 2016

If I remember well, there is (was ?) some kind of objective for backward compatibility, namely that all (updates of) versions of all TeX engines should produce the exact same output for a given input file. The background being that any TeX file that used to compile correctly in the past should also compile correctly in the future.
Is my memory correct? And just out of curiosity, does the rule apply to the DVI / XDV file? WIth pdflatex, I guess there is no DVI file to compare.
Cheers,Wilfred

    On Saturday, February 20, 2016 2:15 PM, Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:

 > Why is it so? And what generates this difference? The question has been
> lingering on SX for a while
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/292675/why-does-xelatex-produce-different-files-from-the-same-deterministic-sources
> but with no reasonable answer!

I wrote a possible answer on SX.