[XeTeX] New feature planned for xetex

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 15:51:53 CET 2016

On 18/2/16 14:02, Jiang Jiang wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
> I suppose not everyone have a chance to build and try this yet. By any
> chance you can provide a PDF test case demonstrating the feature? Then
> perhaps more people can comment.

Here's an example in Urdu script. There are 3 pages, all containing the
exact same text.

Page 1 has \XeTeXinterwordspaceshaping = 0, so this is what existing
xetex would produce.

Page 2 has \XeTeXinterwordspaceshaping = 1, which allows the font to
kern across the inter-word spaces; in some cases this makes the space
width substantially negative, so that adjacent words actually "overlap"
to some degree. This avoids the large visual "gaps" that sometimes occur
on page 1, depending on the shapes of the adjacent words.

Page 3 has \XeTeXinterwordspaceshaping = 2, so we get the exact same
line-breaks as page 2, but with some (relatively subtle, mostly)
improvements to the actual shaping at word boundaries.

Hope this helps to illustrate why this feature is important (in certain
specialized cases).