[XeTeX] Devanagari, xelatex, and \footnote

Hueckstedt, Robert A. (rah2k) rah2k at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Aug 15 02:46:01 CEST 2016

I attach a simple tex file and the pdf it produces to illustrate the problem.

We set the ~ character to catcode 12 so that it can function normally in devanagari text (typed in the tex file in roman). When j and ~n come together in a word, then they produce the conjunct consonant as seen in the pdf file, but when the same j and ~n come together in the same word in a footnote, the catcode for ~ seems to revert to 13 and it causes the interword space. How do I make that ~ function in the footnote as it does in the text?

Thanks in advance for any help or for any suggestions for other fora to use to solve this problem.