[XeTeX] xetex bug #71 jpeg inclusion fails with Dimension too large

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Sun Sep 27 17:39:57 CEST 2015

Dear Vafa Khalighi,

> There was an annoying bug reported back in 2013:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/xetex/bugs/71/
>

> I thought that this bug was fixed in 2013 but it exists in both
> TeXlive 2014 and TeXlive 2015 which makes me wonder was it really
> fixed back in 2013?
>
> I have attached a simple test here.

The reason is that there is not 'JFIF' header in the test.jpg.
The jpeg driver in XeTeX is not so clever, sorry.
I have added the 'JFIF' header by
convert -density 96x96 test.jpg test1.jpg
See an attached test1.zip.
If I do not use -density option, then the density becomes 1DPI,
thus urx - llx = 45.17feet > 19feet for the test.jpg. In this case, any TeX engine
cannot include such a large image.

--
Best regards,
Akira KAKUTO