[XeTeX] Adobe Professional Fonts and Diacritics

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 9 10:51:09 CEST 2015

Hello

I think you'll find that these characters are simply not in the fonts.  But
composed characters that have a Unicode value can sometimes be achieved
manually even if they aren't present in the fonts you want to use, and that
can be done behind the scenes (the following plain (Xe)TeX code should work
in LaTeX, but LaTeX users will know the echt-LaTeX equivalents).

For underdotted d (Unicode value 1E0D), for example:

\catcode"1E0D=\active
\defḍ{{\dotax{d}}}

Earlier in the file you will need to define '\dotax' (and \overstrike, which
\dotax uses), thus:

\def\overstrike#1#2{\setbox0=\hbox{#1}\setbox1=\hbox{#2}\copy0
   \kern -0.5\wd0 \kern -0.5\wd1 \copy1 \kern -0.5\wd1 \kern 0.5\wd0}
\def\dotax#1{\leavevmode
    \overstrike{#1}{\smash{\lower 0.215em \hbox{.}}}}%underdot

These are rather hamfisted bits of code that I wrote years ago when I was
first getting to grips with TeX, and I haven't tidied them up or refined
them as they are of only occasional use to me.  I'm sure someone else will
provide something neater.

John